Masters in Geography Scholarship at UNC Charlotte: Study in USA
Study in USA: Apply for the Masters in Geography Scholarship at University of North Carolina (UNC) Charlotte in USA. The Department offers Funding and scholarships in the form of paid Graduate Assistantships, internships and non-resident tuition adjustments. Top candidates will further be awarded the competitive Master’s Merit Award ($4,000 for NC resident and $8,000 for nonresident for each of two years) and/or Graduate School Grant ($2,000 for year one).
Note: The MA program will make the GRE optional for the spring and fall 2022 admissions.
About the Masters In Geography Scholarship at UNC Charlotte
The Master of Arts (MA) Geography program at UNC Charlotte emphasizes the practical application of skills, methods and theory from geography to solve current societal challenges.
As a result, students are offered a solid foundation in research methods, problem formulation and solution, quantitative methods, computer applications and Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Faculty and students are active in the community and students are encouraged to complete their programs with either funded or unfunded internships in the private or public sector.
One of the program’s greatest strengths is the close relationship between its students and faculty and amongst the students themselves. Small class sizes, close student and faculty contact and a strong sense of community are considered essential components of the learning and teaching environment at UNC Charlotte.
The applied geography program at UNC Charlotte is recognized as one of the best of its kind in the country. Many of its graduates have gone directly into jobs as professional geographers, research and/or marketing specialists, location analysts, planners, transportation specialists, geographic information analysts, and private consultants. About 10 percent of the more than 200 graduates of the program have gone on to study in Ph.D. programs.
Admission Requirements for the Masters in Geography Scholarship at UNC Charlotte: Study in USA
To be eligible for the MA Geography Scholarship at UNC Charlotte, applicants should:
- Have an overall GPA above 3.1 (or a 3.1 for the last 2 years) and a GPA of 3.2 in the major. Note: Averages less than these minimums will not exclude applicants if the other elements of the application are strong.
- submit three (3) letters of reference: These letters will be evaluated on the basis of how well the applicant is suited, in terms of intellect, motivation and temperament, to do graduate course work.
- submit a Statement of Purpose (SOP) or Personal Essay: the personal essay or SOP must address why they wish to do the graduate work in geography … Read more
- submit cores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE): Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with minimum scores of 150 on both the verbal and quantitative sections and a 3.5 or above on the analytical portions. Applicants must have taken the GRE; no other test will be accepted in its place. Note: The MA program will make the GRE optional for the spring and fall 2022 admissions.
- submit Transcript of Course Work: Transcripts are evaluated on the basis of the types of courses taken, range of geography, statistical and computer course work attempted.
- TOEFL exam scores of at least 84 on the Internet-based test for applicants whose native language is NOT English. The program expects a minimum score in the low to mid 20s on each of the components of the TOEFL. In addition, international students who are supported through a teaching assistantship (TA) will be required to undergo evaluation by the English Language Training Institute (ELTI) at UNC Charlotte prior to beginning their assistantship.
Study in USA: Scholarship and Funding for the Masters in Geography at UNC Charlotte
The Department offers Funding and scholarships in the form of paid Graduate Assistantships, internships and non-resident tuition adjustments. Top candidates will further be awarded the competitive Master’s Merit Award ($4,000 for NC resident and $8,000 for nonresident for each of two years) and/or Graduate School Grant ($2,000 for year one).
Graduate assistantships are arranged for either one entire semester or for an entire academic year (two semesters or nine months). They are normally scheduled for 16 weeks per semester and the student works 20 hours per week. Assistantships are funded at the rate of $7,000 per semester – $14,000 per academic year. The Department makes every effort to provide funding to every full-time student in the program.
The M.A. in Geography at UNC Charlotte emphasizes the application of skills, methods and theory to problem solving. Given this focus, the Internship often is a critical, capstone element of many students’ programs. Normally with an internship, the capstone research project is completed in the context of the internship. That is, students are still required to complete a capstone research project but the research topic is determined by the internship employer.
Applying for Funding
Prospective graduate students who are interested in applying for funding can obtain applications from the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences or the Graduate Studies Office of the University. These application forms should be completed and returned with the Graduate Application Packet to the Graduate Admissions Office as early as possible prior to the semester for which the student has applied for admission.
Admission Term(s): Application Deadlines
Fall: February 15th (Priority, for applicants wishing to be considered for available funding), April 1st (Secondary)
Spring: October 1st
Applications will be reviewed beyond these dates on a space available basis.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MASTER’S & PhD SCHOLARSHIPS
- How to Apply: To be eligible for this funding package, a candidate must apply and be admitted into the graduate program. See: How to Apply for Scholarships in Canada for useful tips on how to apply.
- Supporting Documents: Prospective applicants must prepare their documents such as academic transcripts and diplomas, academic references, resume and statement of intent. Check the Required documents for graduate school applications
- Admission Requirements: Eligible applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements. Note that admission into the program is competitive, and meeting the minimum requirements is no guarantee of being admitted into the program. See our Guide on Applying to Schools Abroad with Scholarships.
- Fully-Funded Geography Scholarships for Master’s & PhD at UBC
- Geography Scholarships at University of Saskatchewan
- 6 Easy Steps to Apply for Scholarships in Canada: A 2022 Guide
- Writing a Strong Statement of Purpose for Graduate School Application
- Contacting a Potential Supervisor for Graduate School Application: Tips & Tricks